Turton Tower evolved from being a simple stone Pele tower, which was built around 1420 as a defensive fortress, to an impressive and comfortable residence by the Tudor and early Stuart period. The simple stone structure was added to with timber extensions by the Orrell family transforming it to a lavish house.
In doing so, however it would appear that they overspent and were forced to sell. The tower was purchased by Humphrey Chetham in 1628. The Orrell's continued to live on at the tower renting the tower from him. During the civil (1642-1650), the Orell's were Cavaliers where the Chethams supported the Roundhead. This must have made for interesting times at the tower when Chetham garrisoned his troops within the Turton estate.