To cook the perfect steak you need to consider the size and
weight of your steak before calculating the cooking time. With only
a few minutes between rare and well-done, timing is key.
- Make sure you have good non-stick pan that will get really hot
to help get that perfect charred finish to your steak.
- Get an even spread of oil to cover the whole piece of
- once it starts separating, it's time to start cooking. If you
put in your steak too early and the oil isn't quite hot enough yet
your meat will end up greasy.
For a 2cm thick fillet steak we recommend the following cooking
- Blue: roughly 1 minute each side
- Rare: roughly 1 and half minue each side
- Medium-rare: roughly 2 minutes each side
- Medium: roughly 2 and half minutes each side
- Medium-well: roughly 3-3 and half minutes each side
- Well done: 4-5 minutes each side
THE FINGER TEST
Use your fingers to prod the cooked steak.
- Rare: soft and spongy
- Medium: springy
- Well done: firm
LEAVE IT TO REST
Once you've got it just as you want, it's important to leave it
to rest for a few minutes. Let the meat absorb the juices for that
perfect, tender finish.